Tuesday 30 May 2017

Botany, Sir Joseph Banks Pleasure Gardens

The Sir Joseph Banks Pleasure Gardens are located in the eastern suburb of Botany. They were the main attraction of the old Sir Joseph Banks Hotel in the 19th Century. From 1845 through to the 1910, the hotel and its famed pleasure gardens were Australia's equivalent of a European spa resort. It was bought by entrepreneur Frank Smith in 1884 by who set up famous running races from 1884-92. When the hotel was sold in the 1920s and much of the land subdivided, the remnant gardens became a public park. In 1988, an interpretative recreation of the former gardens was created featuring a sports oval, thematic gardens, a maze and pergolas. Structures in the park include this arbour and formal terrace.

13 comments:

  1. I like Botanical Gardens and I guess "Pleasure Garden" is another way of saying that. These look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting Text Jim, and I love to be able to walk round the gardens, they sound really interesting.
    All the best, Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shot, my friend, thank you for sharing it !

    Wishing you a most lovely new week

    XOXO Daniela at ~ My little old world ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Turning it into a public park was a wise decision.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to explore more of those gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Jim; Must be wonderful to walk around, especially in your season now♪ Reminisce my trip to your country.
    Sincerely, Miyako* from Japan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a pretty area. I bet that walk around the gardens would be so pleasant any time of year!! Thanks for sharing the beautiful photo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's beginning to look a lot like winter out your way!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty!
    And I enjoyed reading about the history of the place

    ReplyDelete
  10. turning it into a public park would always win my vote.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please leave me a message. Jim.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...